PROFILE : A dozen things you must know about Mr Paul Usoro, SAN, Newly elected President, Nigerian Bar Association
1. Mr Paul Usoro was called to the Nigerian Bar in 1982. He holds a Bachelors of Law Degree from the prestigious Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-Ife in 1981.
2. Paul started his practice in Kaduna. He was also elevated to the Inner Bar as a Senior Advocate of Nigeria in 2003. He is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.
3. Paul Usoro, SAN is a foremost Communications Lawyer who led the drafting of the Nigerian Communications Act 2003.
4. Paul was my Special Guest of Honour at the Distinguished Electrical and Electronic Engineer Annual Lecture, DEEEAL, of 2010 of the NIEEE (Nigerian Institution of Electrical and Electronics Engineers) which I had the singular honour to give. I talked on “Pathway to Connecting The Last man” http://titiomoettu.com.ng/papers/pathway-connecting-last-man/
5. Paul was the founding Chairman of the Communication Committee of the Nigerian Bar Association’s Section on Business Law.
6. Paul has been on the board of Airtel, for over 18 years and has been the longest serving member. Paul led the Airtel Shareholders Committee in negotiating the Celtel Transaction as the Committee Chairman, which, at the time, ranked as one of the biggest private sector equity transactions in Nigeria’s history.
7. Paul has been a Non-Executive Director at Access Bank Plc since January 2014. He serves on the boards of Nigeria Bulk Electricity Traders Plc, Marina Securities Limited and Premium Pensions Limited.
8. Paul is an active member of the NBA Legal Profession Regulation Review Committee set up in 2016.
9. Paul played a crucial and leading role in the team that represented a France-based multinational oil servicing company in a landmark litigation against a Nigerian company for the recovery of judgment sums of US$11,628,962.11; US$5,214,939.98; DM212,252,751.11; N26,349,753.61 and US$7,157,865.87. The judgment delivered by the Court of Appeal in the second quarter of 2015 has become a locusclassicus in Nigerian jurisprudence on the principles of subrogation of one party for another for purposes of realizing a judgment debt.
10. Paul represented the Governor of Akwa Ibom State, Governor Udom Gabriel Emmanuel and his political party in about 35 pre-election lawsuits from 2015, particularly at the Governorship and National Assembly levels. All the cases were successfully defended by Paul and his Team. Not a single one of those matters was lost at any of the Courts.
11. Paul Usoro, SAN, a devoted and loving husband and father, is married to Mfon Ekong Usoro and they are blessed with two children, one of whom is a legal practitioner, a member of the NBA and of the New York Bar.
12. Paul’s firm Paul Usoro & Co., is one of the best paying firms with lawyers fresh out of law school earning very princely salaries.
Paul is my friend.
Titi Omo-Ettu, FAEng; FNSE.
August 20, 2018.
Sources: Lawyard; CyberschuulNews.com